mobile menu

Apply Now

Order Prospectus

Financial Support

Financial Support

There is a wide range of help available to students to meet the costs of tuition, travel, and childcare.


Use the links at the foot of the page to identify the financial support appropriate to you. 


  •  Further Education Free Meals Fund
  •  16-18 Bursary Fund
  •  19+ Hardship Fund 
  •  20+ Childcare Support Fund 
  •  Advanced Learner Loans Bursary Fund

Financial Help for students aged 19+

Discretionary Learner Support Funds

If you are struggling with your course because of financial difficulties, you may be able to get help with some of the costs of essentials (e.g. equipment and travel) for your course, through the Discretionary Learner Support Fund. This funding is only available to students taking Adult courses, not Community courses. 

There is a limited supply of funding available so early application is advised. It’s a means tested fund and you will be expected to show some proof of income such as a recent Working Tax Credit Notice, two recent payslips, a copy of a letter from the benefits agency or bank statements.


Students aged 19 or older wishing to apply for Financial Support can use the application form here: This form also allows students aged 20 or older to apply for Childcare Support Funds.


Contact the Student Finance Team on via for more information or advice.


Financial Help for Students Aged 20+ who have children

Are you a student aged 20 or over (on 31st August of the year the course starts) and have children? Are you in severe hardship? There are funds available to help you.


In order to quality for 20+ Childcare Support Funds, you must have an income level of £21,000 or less. And you will need to prove that you qualify by bringing in a recent letter which shows the family income e.g. recent Working Tax Credit Notice; two recent payslips; copy of letter from benefits agency; bank statements.


The Childcare Support Fund will pay 80%* of term-time costs of your childcare, and you will be responsible for the other 20% of the costs.


The child care provider chosen must be Ofsted registered and cannot be a relative. The Fund pays costs related to your study days at College, both onsite and online, but does not pay for childcare costs during holiday periods or after school care for older children.


The fund is limited and runs on a first come first served basis so early application is advised.


Students should apply using the application form link in Discretionary Learner Support Funds above to apply. The College will contact your Childcare Provider directly to confirm the childcare support required and the costs involved.


For further advice, please contact the Student Finance Team via


Advanced Learner Loans

For students aged 19 or over, starting a Level 3 or above course from August onwards. Loan applications will be accepted from May. Click here for more details.


Financial Help for Students Aged 16-18


  • FREE Our Pass, giving you the freedom to travel around Greater Manchester, at anytime you wish. This is not supplied by the College and you should visit the Our Pass website to apply online.
  • FREE breakfast daily to get you started for the day ahead
  • FREE equipment for Hairdressing students and Beauty students up to the value of £370
  • FREE CSCS card for construction students which is essential for working on  construction sites. 


Financial Support is available for some 16-18 students coming to College. The EMA scheme is no longer operational in England.


There are two types of bursary:-


1. The Student Support Allowance of up to £1,200 a year if you (the student) are:

  • A young person in care or care leaver; or
  • A young person receiving Income Support or Universal Credit in your own rightor
  • A young person with severe disabilities and in receipt of Employment Support Allowance and also receives either of Disabled Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

2. The Discretionary Bursary and Free College Meals funds are used to provide financial support to eligible students to help towards transport, essential equipment required for the course, and help with the costs of meals. These Funds are administered by the College, are means tested and you may qualify if you are aged 16-18, your attendance is over 90% and your family income is £20,000 or less.


Follow the link at the foot of the page for the info and application form links


Financial Help for Students aged under 20 years old and who have children

If you are aged under 20 on 31st August before the start of your course, you have children, and need financial support with childcare costs you may be eligible for help from the government’s Care to Learn scheme.


This can provide help with the cost of having a child looked after at a nursery or childminder while you study at College.


For more information and how to apply, please click here or contact the Student Finance Team at