mobile menu

Apply Now

Order Prospectus

Bolton College welcomes applications from young people in care and care leavers

If you are a young person in care or leaving care and you wish to study at Bolton College, please contact Zoe Barlow (Pastoral & Wellbeing Manager) via email or telephone 01204 482 560 to discuss and be supported with your application.


We can offer the following additional benefits:

  • Bespoke tours of the College to show you our facilities and help you get used to the environment
  • Support you at your College interview for your chosen course / flexible entry requirements
  • Help you complete your Student Support Allowance Bursary Application which assists you with the costs of
    studying at College

  • A linked service for you and your social worker
  • A weekly one-to-one mentoring service
  • Arrange for your PEP and PEP reviews to take place in College with a named link person
  • Attend your LAC Review or send a report about your progress
  • Recognise and address any individual support requirements you may have
  • Arrange bespoke timetables in special circumstances to meet your needs wherever possible
  • Arrange for you to have a careers interview if you need help with your future plans


The Designated Lead for young people in care or leaving care is Karen Westsmith (Assistant Principal). Jenna Martin (Student Experience Manager) oversees processes in College for this group of students, ensuring you get the service you need to support your studies. Email or telephone 01204 482 741.

QM logo

Financial support available for you

Young people who are looked after and those leaving care have some entitlements. These students, aged 16-18, are usually entitled to a week bursary (cash to support them with the cost of studying at College). You can find out more about this by contacting the Student Finance Team in Student Services or by clicking the link below:


student financial support policy


If you are a young person who has been looked after by the local authority or have recently been in Care, or if you have been adopted by a family in the past, there is support for you at College if you would like it.We will make a plan to work with you in a way that you choose.


Personal Education Plan (PEP) Meetings

PEP meetings may be set up with you, your social worker, your tutors and those who support you at College. They are designed to check how College is going for you; to see if anything needs to be changed to help your progress and also to plan ahead for your future. If you need to link up with your social worker or you need to talk about any issue which may be affecting you – speak to your tutor directly or contact the Transition and Support Leader in College in room AG.18.