Wider Information Set
Bolton College is committed to making it easier for students and the wider public to gain access to information about the College and our courses.
The Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE) has specified which information should be supplied, and this information forms the Wider Information Set (WIS).
The aims of the WIS are to:
- inform the public about the quality of HE, and in particular, help provide potential students with information that will help them make a choice about what and where to study
- help provide evidence to contribute to quality assurance processes in institutions (specifically review by the QAA)
- help provide information that institutions can use to enhance the quality of their HE provision.
There are three categories within the WIS:
- Information on institutional context
- Information about aspects of courses and awards
- Information on the quality and standards of programmes
Bolton College will enable individuals, businesses and communities within Bolton and the region to realise their potential through Education and Training that is inclusive, inspiring, innovative and responsive to their needs.
Bolton College works with a wide range of public and private sector organisations, including the ‘Bolton Family’ of public sector organisations, to meet the education and training needs of Bolton, its geographical, cultural and business communities. The College seeks to contribute to the education and training needs of the region and sub-region and, in relation to some niche markets, it will play a national and international role. We will support social and economic regeneration and contribute to measurable business success and community cohesion through the provision of flexible, innovative and responsive high quality training opportunities, working in partnerships with employers, local communities, key agencies and training providers.
We will create a high quality learning organisation which captures outstanding practice including a culture of continuous improvement, by providing inspirational, cutting edge teaching and learning which is responsive to the needs, interests and experience of all learners and leads to success. We will widen participation and increase access to lifelong learning opportunities in education and training at a variety of locations and assist all our learners to reach and maximise their full potential and progress in their learning and employment.
Our key values are:
- Excellence in all we do
- Ensuring learning and the learner are at the heart of everything we do
- Equality of opportunity and celebration of diversity
- Honesty and Integrity
- Serving our community and
- Sustainability & Corporate responsibility.
HE Learning, Teaching & Assessment Strategy
Bolton College Charter for HE Students
HE Student Handbook
HE Student Rep Handbook
HE Student Enhancement Framework
HE Retention Strategy
HE Framework for Assessment Code of Practice
Links with Awarding Bodies
In addition to the QAA, all of our courses are validated by well-respected institutions such as University of Bolton and the University of West London. Please click here to read about our collaborative partnerships with universities.
You can also find out about Pearson BTEC courses by clicking here.
The following information is available on the VLE for students, or can made available on request to the public. If you would like to request this info, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- procedures and outcomes for programme approval, monitoring and review
- external examination procedures and the role of external examiners
Our policies for student complaints, appeals and representations, can be found on our HE policy page.